In most countries of the world human rights are still being violated.
The poor, women and minorities are more threatened than others. In many
countries the Churches and human rights organisations are on the side
of the victims. For that reason they are often persecuted themselves.
The German Commission for Justice and Peace is committed to protect the
victims and those who defend human rights.
- Justice and Peace endeavours to bring specific cases of human
rights violations to the attention of the public and of politicians
- Justice and Peace intervenes with those governments which
themselves violate human rights or do not take vigorous action
against human rights violations in their country
- Justice and Peace urges German politicians to consider particularly
human rights aspects in their policies in the fields of development
co-operation, foreign affairs and international economic relations
(e.g. the problem of arms exports)
- Justice and Peace endeavours to develop the human rights work
of the Church and the state, e.g. to achieve that human rights of
women are put into practice. This is not only a matter of defending
human rights, but also of promoting them. Conditions are required
which minimise human rights violations
- Justice and Peace organises the dialogue between Catholic
organisations which are committed to human rights.